Here we will explain how to use blackhead extractor tools to clear your face of acne with less inflammation and irritation than popping them with your fingers or with the use of harsh chemicals.
- You will need to start with clean tools. Sterilize your tools by rubbing the tools with a cotton ball or gauze soaked in rubbing alcohol. Allow to air dry, this is very important part of this step. Do not blow on them. You can also sterilize the tools by submerging them in boiling water for at least 5 minutes. Use a tongs to remove from water, using caution as to not burn yourself.
- Now it is time to open your pores. You can achieve this by taking a steaming shower, placing a very warm towel on your face, or by using a facial steamer. This will allow the comedones (blackheads and whiteheads) to open and soften and allows for easier extraction.
- Use a pair of gloves or disinfect your hands before using the tools. Using a anti bacterial hand soap will do the job.
- Decide on the correct tool for the job. If you are dealing with a whitehead, first use the lancet (needle like tool) to lightly puncture the skin. Next select the tool that is closest to the size of the blemish. Not sure which type of tool to use on your acne? We explain the best uses of the different types of comedone extractors here.
- Place the tool over the blemish and slowly rock back and forth with a small amount of pressure.
- Once the comedone has been extracted use gauze or cotton ball and wipe any blood or puss that may come from the blemish.
- Clean all tools with alcohol prep pads or wipe with alcohol before storing the tools for future use.